Sunday, February 2, 2014

13.1

Hello! Hope you have all had a great weekend so far!

I have had several people ask me about the process I went through, and how I prepared for the half marathon (13.1) that I ran, September 2013.

April 1, 2013, I started "a mile day", and I did that for 3 months straight. 
At the beginning of my 3rd month, 
"a mile a day" became too easy, 
so I would purposely miss days, so that I would have to run 3 miles at a time instead of just the 1. 

on the day of my 90th mile, so at the end of June, I came across the Panhandle Marathon Run in Lubbock Texas, the run would take place September 29, 2013, making it exactly 12 weeks away from race day. They had a 12 week training schedule on the site that I just printed off, and started following. I would run Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, & Saturdays.
 On Mondays and Fridays, I would do body strengthening circuits. 



I love to run, so that makes a huge difference in anything that I do. 
(I'm sure you can relate)

I do have to say that my 13.1, was the most challenging thing that I have done thus far in my life. Mentally, physically, and even spiritually.


I caught a stomach virus week 9 of training for my run. 
It was awful, & the following week (week 10), I felt too weak to run such long distances. 
So I went a total of two weeks without running, 
and so I gave up, 
I was NOT going to run the 13.1 that I had been working hard at for the past 5 1/2 months.

Before I caught the stomach virus, the most I had ran at a time was 6 miles, 
and throughout the 2 weeks that I missed in my training, 
I would have completed a 9 mile run , week 9, 
and 10 mile run, week 10. 
So I was just really starting to doubt myself.

While having this pity party one day after work, 
Steven told me that that was the silliest thing that he had ever heard, 
and for me to get my butt off the couch, and go run. 
He left the room, and began to workout in his weight room... 
I waited for him to come back and tell me that he understood, 
and would be behind me any decision I made. 
So, I waited. 

and I waited.

Ya, he never came.

So, I got my butt off the couch, and I ran, and I ran, and I ran till I reached 12 miles that night, 
and it was awesome. 
It took me 2 hours, and 10 minutes. 
After 6 miles my legs were just on autopilot mode. & I couldn't fill a thing, but most importantly, even though Satan was trying to steal my thunder, and all that I had worked so hard for, with every cheer that came through my headphones (thank you Nike Running App), and with every worship song to follow, and having Steven walking toward me, meeting me at Dalhart elementary to help me home the rest of the way, because I couldn't feel my body after 12.1 miles were complete.......
I showed Satan, that I AM ABLE.


*******

During my training, I read a lot of different runners blogs, 
and I didn't do, not one thing they did, as far as preparing for my race day, 
other than having a 12 week running/training schedule to go by.

They all stated that it was important to change your diet during your 13.1 training.
I didn't change my diet, & I was fine.

Mind you, this worked for me, & I am no professional, just sharing my 13.1 journey.

They all stated NOT to buy anything new to wear for your race day.
I think everything I wore on my race day was new, & I bought the day before, except for my shoes.

They all stated to have extra water on you while running. Like the waist belts that have two or three water bottles attached to it.
I did not, I can barely walk and talk at the same time, much less try to drink, and run at the same time. I did stop at the water stations along the way throughout my race, 
but I stopped, drank, and then started running again. 
I just can't have a lot of stuff on me while running. 
It's just your personal preference. For me this idea would be a disaster.

They all stated to get enough sleep the night before your race.
I went to bed at midnight, because my cousin was giving me a manicure and pedicure. 

They all stated to eat something light after your 13.1 run.
my family, and I went to Golden Corral after my race, 
and we did what most people do, that go there. 
We ate.... a lot. =)

*******
Pre-Race Day


I went to pick up my packet, and they had this vendor set up, they sold great headbands that actually stay on my head for just $8.00!! I should have got more than just one, 
and then I made one of the best purchases, ever. 
I highly recommend these compression sleeves for your shins/calves, 
my legs didn't cramp up once during my race.


*******

Race Day

I woke up 2 hours before my race. 

For breakfast:
I ate a granola bar, and had some water.

Got to the race, I went to crazy long line at the porta-potty to empty my bladder.

Told Steven to hold my jacket.

Went to the starting line, and waited for the race to start.

The weather was beautiful, and the race was very organized, and operated rather nice.

Along the way there were people holding up awesome signs that said things like 
"I don't know you, but good job! Only 12 more miles to go!"
And.......

(haha)

During my training I began to use every mile I ran each day to pray for someone different. 
So I had 13 people in mind this very day, and used every mile to pray for an individual. 
I had such great friends sending cheers through my headphones, 
and my best friend waiting for me at the finish line. 

I struggled half way through my race, 
but just like any other time I ask the Lord for his help, 
I got it, 
and he helped me push through.

all was going so well, I was completing my 10th mile, 
turning the corner to start mile 11, 
& when I do, 
it was every runners nightmare, 
it was all uphill. 
(meh.)

(Touche)

At mile 11, I thought I was dead.
At mile 12, I thought.... I wished I was dead.
At mile 13, I realized I had become too tough to kill.

I really have no words to express how accomplished I felt crossing the finish line.



I placed 83rd out of 300 girls, 
and 193rd out of 506 overall finishers (girls and guys).

*******

You can do anything you set your mind to, 
has always been such a cliche saying to me, 
until now,
because it really is so true.

YOU CAN DO ANYTHING,  
YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO.

*******

Be blessed. Be loved. 


-malorie lucille.

*******

Listen to --> Carry Me Through by: Dave Barnes

This girl did such a great job doing a cover for this song.
Enjoy! 


"Carry Me Through"
There's a mountain
Here before me
And I'm going to climb it
With strength not my own
He's gonna lead me
Or the mountain beats me
Carry me through
Carry me through

There's a river
Here before me
And I'm gonna cross it
with strength not my own
He's gonna save me
Or the river takes me.
Carry me through
Carry me through

Oh Lord be gentle
I'm just a man
Please don't crush me
Help me in.

Oh Lord remember
I try so hard
I walk and talk
Your kingdom love

There's a sinner
Here before me
And I'm gonna give them
Strength not my own
He's gonna carry me
when I get weary
Carry me through
Carry me through

Oh Lord be gentle
I'm just a man
Please don't crush me
And help me in

Oh lord remember
I try so hard
I walk and talk
Your kingdom love

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Carry me through

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Lord Sweet Lord
Carry me through.


THANKS SO MUCH FOR READING!!!!

*******

If you like Texas Country be sure and tune in to
 Steven and Brewer
on 
Texas Red Dirt Radio on KXIT 
Monday nights from 6-9pm.

www.kxit.com
Listen Live


 Don't forget to go LIKE their Texas Red Dirt Radio on KXIT Facebook page!

*******
Services are offered to men, women, & children. 

*******
*******
*******

*******

*******

If you would like to have your business advertised on my blog, just send your company logo to my phone through text, or in a message on Facebook. 
It will be reposted with every blog that I post, 
unless you call for it to be removed 
or updated!
FREE ADVERTISING PEOPLE! 
Spread the word!


LOVE
-malorie 


Who are you rootin' for??
 I am not a fan of either, 
but I get to spend today with my family, 
and watch football, 
doesn't get much better than that.
So if I can wish favor over one of the teams, 
I'll say I wish favor over the Broncos.

Happy Superbowl Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment